Using crab pots to catch Maryland blue crabs
Commercial Crab Fishing
Ready to sit back and wait for the big haul? Using commercial box crab pots could be a great option for you. Using a crab pot has many more restrictions than crabbing with a handline or collapsible trap. Make sure to read about Maryland crabbing regulations before you drop your pot! You can get crab pots from stores in Ocean City or actually build your own. Many Maryland residents drop these traps from private properties and let them soak for days before melting some butter!!! It's pretty basic. Bait your crab pot with fish, chicken or even bull lips! Crabs are scavengers and will eat almost anything that you would turn your nose to! In our opinion, raw bait works 100% better than just sinking your leftovers so give them something they like. Make sure you have enough line on your trap to compensate for the tides if you are on a floating dock. Make sure to play by the rules, the fines are much more than are want to spend on any dinner!
Visit Maryland Department of Natural resources for the latest rules and regulations. If you are a private property owner, it is a free licence but you will need to register.
More Crabbing Information
- Intro to crabbing
- Where to crab in Ocean City Maryland
- What are the regulations for crabbing in Ocean City, Maryland?
- How to cook crabs Maryland style
- How to pick a Maryland blue crab
- How to crab in Ocean City, Maryland
- How to Handline for crabs in Ocean City Maryland
- How to run a trotline in Ocean City Maryland
- Using collapsible crab traps in Ocean City, Maryland
- -Using crab pots in Ocean City, Maryland