What are the rules for crabbing?
While on a crabbing charter boat in Ocean City you do not need a licence. Get Sum crabbing trips cover all licencing, bait and equipment. If you are out on your own, it is important to follow the rules not just to avoid a fine but to sustain the population of blue crab in the bay.
Maryland Blue Crab Regulations
As a rule, never depend on regulations posted by any website other than the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.
This is the most dependable source of information for Maryland crabbing regulations.
Maryland Crabbing Licence
Crabbing licenses are generally valid for one full year. Licences range from $5 for residents to $10 for non residents. As a recreational crabber you also have the option for $15 to cover everyone on your boat. If you own a home on the water you will need to register your pot for free. You may crab without a licence with a dip net or a handline but have the same limits as licenced crabbers.
A recreational crabbing license will cover those who use collapsible crab traps, eel pots for bait, net Rings, seines and trotlines.
Recreational Crabbing Links
More Crabbing Information
- Intro to crabbing
- Where to crab in Ocean City Maryland
- What are the regulations for crabbing in Ocean City, Maryland?
- How to cook crabs Maryland style
- How to pick a Maryland blue crab
- How to crab in Ocean City, Maryland
- How to Handline for crabs in Ocean City Maryland
- How to run a trotline in Ocean City Maryland
- Using collapsible crab traps in Ocean City, Maryland
- -Using crab pots in Ocean City, Maryland